Monday 4 July 2011

Sticks and Stones



I'm finding it very difficult to write this today as I'm feeling pretty shell shocked! I packed my 13year old son off to scout camp on Friday night, but before midnight the phone woke us up  and we found out he was heading to hospital, having been hit in the eye with a rock that had been thrown from the nearby path, in pitch darkness.

He has had lots of tests and has to go back to hospital for more in a couple of days. He has a lump on his head, a very sore graze under his eye and a scratched cornea, all of which should heal quickly. We are not sure if there is any lasting damage to the inside of his eye and for the next 6 weeks there is a risk that his retina could become detached, so he will have to take things slowly, which is not in the nature of teenaged boys!

The police, the scout leaders and victim support have all been very helpful and his friends are absolutely brilliant. I just hope that whoever did it will learn to think a little before acting, as things could have been a lot worse.

He is due to go camping again in a few weeks. It will be really hard to let him go and I may have to quilt him a thickly padded suit before he goes!!!

I don't want to show you a photo of his injury so I've selected a nice calming image instead:)

4 comments:

  1. How awful. Hope it doesnt put him off going again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Dotty, how awful, I hope he's okay and not too upset by it all. There are some mindless people about and unfortunaltely we have to come across them sometimes, I know what I'd like to do with them! Take care all of you, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats horrible! really hope there is no lasting damage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. I'm sure that he'll be fine and will simply leap back into life as soon as he's allowed to, but isn't it a shame that some people are so incredibly stupid and/or malicious? I try hard to maintain a belief in the good in people, but at times it's hard.....

    xx

    ReplyDelete